"I'm told a normal person has about 23 teeth, but I only had 13 left and they had to be removed," he said. "It started because I wasn't a huge water fan and working in the hotel industry, I had easy access to Coke."
"Because my teeth were decaying so badly, it caused blood poisoning which just made me sick, but my health improved with the dentures."
Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health senior research fellow Dr. Jason Armfield has called for health warnings on labels to include the risks of tooth decay.
Dr. Armfield is also the lead author of a study of 16,800 Australian children that found 56% of those aged between 5 and 16 consumed at least 1 sweet drink, such as soft drink or juice, each day.
Australian Beverages Council chief executive Geoff Parker said it was important to teach children early on about good dental hygiene:
"However, singling out one particular part of the diet is a misguided approach to dealing with an issue such as dental hygiene," he said.
Mr. Kennewell agreed with the idea of putting health warnings on soft drinks, but questioned how effective they would be.
For the original article, click here.
Think you can find cooler? If so, send me any ?worthy? Facebook (or Twitter) posting links you find from the current week that is in dental and if it?s deemed ?Dental Cool? your post will be the next blog. Only rules are to keep it ?Dental Cool,? meaning related to dental and, well, cool!