According to FightGumDisease.org, gum disease is the most common disease in the United States; 85% of U.S. adults have some level of the disease.
Some quick facts about gum disease:
- Gum disease is also known as periodontitis
- Periodontitis is an infection of the tissues and bone that support teeth
- Recent research links gum disease to certain cancers and increased risk of heart attack and stroke
- You can "catch" the disease from kissing or sharing utensils
- Symptoms may not appear until advanced stages
Use the hashtag #FightGumDisease to keep up with the latest stats, comments, and information throughout February.
Visit www.FightGumDisease.org to learn more about gum disease and to get involved.
Monica Barudin is an Assistant Editor for Dental Product Shopper and Hygiene Product Shopper.